Panic Attack Disorder Facts
Have you had one or more panic attacks? Do you intensely fear having another? Do you feel like anxiety is starting to control your life and limit what you can achieve?
If so you may have Panic Attack Disorder.
A panic attack is one of the most terrifying experiences any person can go through, leaving you feeling shocked and distressed.
Although panic attacks are very unpleasant they will not cause you any physical harm. They are simply extreme experiences of anxiety.
It's when the experiences of panic become so terrifying that you start to fear the fear itself that you start to develop panic disorder. Do you fear having another panic attack and begin to worry excessively and/or avoid activities or places in an attempt to escape panic?
The following panic attack disorder facts may be helpful to you in determining how you can change your life to manage and cure panic and anxiety issues.
Panic Attack Disorder Facts - Statistics
In the United States alone, it is thought that over 4 million people suffer from panic attacks. The numbers are probably higher as many more may have not been formally diagnosed. Many may not even realize that they have had a panic attack as they have not been aware of panic attack disorder facts, signs and statistics.
Panic Attacks are an Anxiety Disorder
It’s estimated that 13% of the world has an anxiety disorder. That is a staggering statistic. That means 13 out of every 100 people have some kind of anxiety disorder - very likely someone you know!
How is Panic Disorder Diagnosed?
Panic attack disorder is diagnosed by your doctor using physical testing to eliminate any medical causes as well as information you provide on your own symptoms and the extent to which they interfer with your lifestyle.
Most of the time, panic disorder begins in the late teens and early adulthood. Other triggers for onset later in life include menopause, illness, traumatic events or excessive stress.
When you find yourself deciding not to do things you used to enjoy because you are fearful of having a panic attack, you know you are developing panic disorder.
Untreated Panic Disorder Can Become Agoraphobia
Panic attack disorder can get worse and worse to the point that you only feel safe in certain places and mainly just stay at home. This is known as agoraphobia, which is even more serious. You can easily end up with no quality of life.
You Need Treatment To Get Better
Among other panic attack disorder facts is that it does not go away on its own. Despite well meaning people telling you "it’s not serious", or "it's all in your head", it is a real affliction and needs appropriate treatment.
Panic Attack Disorder Facts - Symptoms
Symptoms of a panic attack often include feeling dizzy & lightheaded, having difficulty breathing, heart palpitations or racing pounding heartbeat, sweating, trembling ,chest pain, nausea and/or stomach cramps, sense of unreality, fear of losing control, dying or going crazy.
When the fear of having another panic attack is so severe that it limits your life, you likely have panic disorder.
Causes of Panic Disorder
One of the panic attack disorder facts that so many people want to know is what exactly causes someone to have this illness?
Although highly researched, no one can confirm one single cause of panic attacks. It appears that there are a variety of factors that combine to causes a susceptibility to panic attacks.
Heredity, environmental issues, and learned behavior along with shortages or excess of certain chemicals that influence how the brain and body react.
Panic Attack Disorder Facts - Treatment
Of all the panic attack disorder facts this one is the best - you can get better with treatment!
There are many very effective treatment methods available. These include:
Interested in learning more? Need more information about these treatment methods and how you can get better - or help someone else to?
We cover all of these methods in detail on this site - including detailed info on theory, side effects, effectiveness and the best ways to select treatment that's best for you!
Check out the links and articles below for even more panic attack disorder facts, research, and treatment options.
BTW -- One concept critical to recovery from panic attack disorder is this key -- If you begin changing your thinking, it can lead to changing the way you react.
By utilizing a variety of treatment methods you can teach your brain to reprogram itself - there are various techniques to help you do this - from supplements, to relaxation techniques, to self help methods, therapy and hypnosis.
Changing your reaction gradually forces the brain to react differently. This makes the fear of panic attacks gradually disappear. It's one of the more interesting panic attack disorder facts!
Interesting Panic Attack Disorder Facts and Info
Panic Attacks And Extreme Anxiety
- Panic attacks and extreme anxiety can be dramatically reduced. Find out the best options for your panic attacks and extreme anxiety.
Panic Attack Chest Pain
- Find out more about why when you have a panic attack chest pain is also present.
Panic Attack Vs Heart Attack
- For panic attack vs heart attack, find out what some of the differences are. Learn why it's best to be careful.
Helping Someone Having Panic Attack
- Learn what you can do when helping someone having panic attack. A human touch can go a long way.
Free Tips Coping During Panic
- Learn great advice for coping with panic attacks. With these free tips coping during panic attacks will be much easier.
Free Panic And Anxiety Attack
- Read excellent and free panic and anxiety attack information and take charge of your life once again!
Panic Attacks Anxiety Disorder
- Panic attacks anxiety disorder work in strange ways and can be debilitating. Learn about helpful panic attack disorder facts and anxiety disorder treatments available.
Panic Anxiety Attack Symptom
- Identifying a panic anxiety attack symptom or symptoms can help play an important role in understanding and overcoming panic and anxiety.
- Panic Away will change your life forever. I highly recommend Joe Barry's Panic Away for your panic attacks and anxiety.
Eliminate Anxiety and Panic Attacks For Good
- You CAN eliminate anxiety and panic attacks. Panic Away is a proven technique to help you conquer panic attacks.
Agoraphobia And Panic Attacks
Agoraphobia and panic attacks can be overcome with proven and effective techniques. Learn how to overcome panic and agoraphobia.
Panic Attack After Illness
- Many people may go through a panic attack after illness. On rare occasions, the panic attacks turn into a panic disorder. Another example of panic attack disorder facts you should know!
Actors Who Have Panic Attacks
- Find out about famous actors who have panic attacks just like anyone else. Panic attacks can happen to anyone
How Long Does Panic Attack Last?
- Want more panic attack disorder facts? Find answers to questions like how long does panic attack last. Use proven methods to overcome panic attacks.
How To Prevent Panic Attack From Getting Worse
- Learn the best ways on how to prevent panic attack from controlling your life and gain your freedom back.
Panic Attack Acetylcholine
- Panic attack acetylcholine: Find out more on this very important neurotransmitter and what effects it has on your body.
Panic Attack And Asthma
- It's possible to confuse a panic attack and asthma and even other illnesses. Always seek medical help to be sure.
Panic Attack And Diabetes
- Suffering from panic attack and diabetes can lead to major depression. Diabetes can also trigger panic attacks.
Panic Attack And Chest Flutter
- For many who experience a panic attack and chest flutter, it can be worrying and confusing. Learn to identify signals.
Panic Attack And First Aid
- You may find that a panic attack and first aid don't go hand in hand. A panic attack doesn't require 'first aid' but reassurance and relaxation. If you have a friend with panic disorder this is one of the most helpful panic attack disorder facts!
Panic Attack Burning Sensation
- A panic attack affects people differently. During a panic attack burning sensation, hot flashes, feeling cold and tingly can be experienced.
Panic Attack While Sleeping
- For some sufferers, a panic attack while sleeping can cause anxiety. Panic attacks while sleeping can cause severe insomnia.
Panic Attack At Work
- A panic attack at work can be twice as difficult. Learn effective methods to recover from panic attacks and live life again.
Prevalence Of Agoraphobia
- You may find the prevalence of agoraphobia quite interesting and find consolation that agoraphobia knows no color, status or age.
Return from Panic Attack Disorder Facts to the Panic And Agoraphobia home page.